Hugh Jackman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Little Leo

Go down

A Little Leo Empty A Little Leo

A Little Leo Leo12_resize

On the set of Kate & Leopold, New York City, May 10, 2001.
Kiki
Kiki
Admin

https://kristi510.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

A Little Leo :: Comments

icelemt38

Post Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:07 pm by icelemt38

Most charming role he's ever had, most definitely. I guess that's why the very unexpected GG nod went his way.

Back to top Go down

LadyT220

Post Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:16 am by LadyT220

*happysigh*
Aww, I love Leo. Especially in his Farmer's Bounty costume.

I keep meaning to write an AU Leo fic some day and then never get round to it.

Back to top Go down

narrows101

Post Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:57 am by narrows101

Movie that made me a fan! Interesting how the front of hair was curly a lot in this movie, like the humidity was affecting it.

Back to top Go down

Post Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:06 am by scrffy78

This was on the WE channel last night and I watched part of it after not having seen it in a few years. While some things (Meg Ryan) still bother me, I think I appreciate his performance more than the first time I saw the movie. Also, his hair was great.

Back to top Go down

narrows101

Post Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:11 am by narrows101

I was flipping between K&L and the Yankee game last night (hence, missing most of the Yankee runs since when I had Leo on my screen I found it hard to turn it back). This is the movie that made me a fan/fall in love - although the front of his hair kinda bothered me in spots since it looked a little curly like the humidity was affecting it.

Isn't it interesting that when asked about directors, Hugh never mentions James Mangold (who also directed Oscar-nominated Walk the Line). He also doesn't mention this movie in interviews, even though he was GG nominated for it (he should bring that up more often LOL).

Back to top Go down

LadyT220

Post Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:17 am by LadyT220

He doesn't mention SLY, EVER. Though I get the impressoin that was not the happiest set in the world.

Back to top Go down

Kiki

Post Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:46 am by Kiki

He mentions K&L rarely - I don't think he's ashamed of it or anything. But LT is right - he seems to want to forget SLY completely. Fine by me.

Back to top Go down

narrows101

Post Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:47 am by narrows101

LadyT220 wrote:He doesn't mention SLY, EVER. Though I get the impressoin that was not the happiest set in the world.

The only time I've heard him mention that was in a recent interview where he had to answer five questions about movies he'd done when the interviewer quoted some lines from the movie. The quote was "I bit myself shaving." He thought for a while and then said in the little "I'm not sure about this" voice... "Someone Like You????????"

Obviously he doesn't remember that line as much as we all do. Have no idea about what happened on that shoot since I wasn't a fan back then.

Back to top Go down

narrows101

Post Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:50 am by narrows101

He only seems to be mentioning his latest movies - he hardly ever mentions the earlier ones, except for Swordfish when he's talking about Travolta or Halle. He doesn't mention VH much either (even though I liked that movie, I can understand why he never mentions it LOL). He seems to mention the movies with directors that everyone loves or admires - for obvious reasons I guess.

Back to top Go down

LadyT220

Post Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:40 pm by LadyT220

narrows101 wrote:
LadyT220 wrote:He doesn't mention SLY, EVER. Though I get the impressoin that was not the happiest set in the world.

The only time I've heard him mention that was in a recent interview where he had to answer five questions about movies he'd done when the interviewer quoted some lines from the movie. The quote was "I bit myself shaving." He thought for a while and then said in the little "I'm not sure about this" voice... "Someone Like You????????"

Obviously he doesn't remember that line as much as we all do. Have no idea about what happened on that shoot since I wasn't a fan back then.

There was, by various accounts, some kind of kerfuffle with Ashley Judd being unhappy with the script, and they had to go back later and do some substantial re-shoots. Including re-writing th entire ending. If you listen to the commentary and compare the alternate scenes on the DVD you can see where they hacked it about through some of Jane's speeches, and why that rooftop ending scene got canned. Mmmm, fake!snow.
Plus I'm fairly sure they all knew it was kind of a *meh* movie when they were making it. At the time, Hugh mentioned that he'd signed on to it before X-Men became big, sort of infering that it was a fall-back in case X-Men tanked so at least he'd still have an American movie with recognised names in it. He joked once that he tried to renegotiate his contract for more money when X-Men was a success but they wouldn't let him.
I get the impression it was a movie he signed on to because he needed a less risky option to fall back on in case of emergency, rather than being a movie he signed on to because he had any great interest in the story.
Of course in the end X-Men was a huge success and SLY kind of a dead fish, but that's life.

Back to top Go down

Post Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:10 pm by wombat

He often mentions being told to sign up for something before X-Men came out, so you could be right. I think SLY was one that had a lot of test-screening/studio interference. Also something about it being rushed because filming in NYC was so expensive. I rather liked Tony Goldwyn on the commentary so I'm willing to put the blame anywhere but on him.

In constrast, I blame James Mangold for everything that's wrong with K&L. It's sloppy, the pacing is turgid and in the commentary he comes across as arrogant and ready to blame the audience if they don't like it (yes, it's my fault that I think he made a crap film).

Back to top Go down

LadyT220

Post Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:28 pm by LadyT220

I usually watch the Director's cut of K&L, it's been a really long time since I watched the release edition. Though Mangold does always strike me as kind of a twat in his self-referential director cameo as a director complaining about studio interference in, ironically, a scene that was removed due to studio interference.

Back to top Go down

emtee

Post Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:40 pm by emtee

As to the Leo hair, I'm putting the blame on a curling iron. Hugh's hair has a slight wave but no amount of humidity would do that stand up bouffanty curl he's sporting in some scenes.

Back to top Go down

LadyT220

Post Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:51 pm by LadyT220

Heh. Ye olde Victorian blow-dryer.

Back to top Go down

icelemt38

Post Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:03 pm by icelemt38

I watch the Director's cut too, those few scenes make so much difference. I thought K&L was actually pretty good, but that could just be I was totally taken by Hugh's charm at the time. SLY on the other hand, if it wasn't for Eddie, I would call it super crap.

Back to top Go down

LadyT220

Post Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:34 am by LadyT220

Yeah. K&L's goofy but endearing aside from Meg's scary lips, and Hugh makes it worth the effort.
SLY is kinda' *meh* though I have fond memories of watching it with a couple of friends in an empty cinema and throwing popcorn at Ashley Judd the whole way through.

Back to top Go down

icelemt38

Post Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:18 pm by icelemt38

Now that would make the experience of watching all non Eddie scenes quite enjoyable.

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum