Hugh Jackman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chicago production

+3
LadyT220
narrows101
wombat
7 posters

Go down

Chicago production Empty Chicago production

Post by wombat Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:03 pm

There are a couple of clips of the Chicago producetion at youtube, placed there by a PR company working for Chicago Dramatists here and here.

How did the Broadway production compare?

I'm not too impressed.

Last edited by wombat on Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixing link)

wombat

Back to top Go down

Chicago production Empty Re: Chicago production

Post by narrows101 Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:32 pm

Well according to the reviewers the Chicago production was the best thing since sliced bread and the guy that played Denny won all the awards and I believe the play did also.
narrows101
narrows101

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyT220 Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:16 pm

Personally, I liked the Broadway one better, but then I'm freely and happily biased.
LadyT220
LadyT220
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by icelemt38 Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:26 pm

I'm with LT, the 2nd video when played out by Craig and Hugh was awesome to watch, it felt like staccato after staccato, their chemistry was palpable and it really felt like they were finishing each other's sentences and building on each other's comments. In this one, not so much. I guess I do see where people say Hugh played it a lot "bigger" than how it was in Chicago, but that to me is a good thing and I feel like Craig delivered Joey's lines with more passion I guess. But like LT, I do see where I could be a teensy bit biased, just a teensy bit.
icelemt38
icelemt38

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyT220 Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:39 pm

I felt the Broadway version felt more empassioned and emotive, personally.
LadyT220
LadyT220
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by icelemt38 Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:42 pm

Yea but of course to some people, that means "over acting"! I think some were just bitter because they loved the Chicago production so much, didn't want to praise the 2 movie stars.
icelemt38
icelemt38

Back to top Go down

Post by vivianL Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:04 pm

Being completely unbiased, I think everything becomes more powerful if played by big time Hollywood movie stars, who also happen to be good-looking guys. Their sheer stage presence, the aura created by them makes the play more memorable, and not necessarily the acting.

But I do think the acting was better by Hugh and Daniel. These Chicago actors seem kinda worn out, unenthusiastic, but maybe that was intentional.
vivianL
vivianL

Back to top Go down

Post by mamaleh Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:49 am

There's always room for more than one interpretation. Naturally, we're all biased, and of course I prefer director John Crowley's take, especially his improvements as the weeks passed. But I can see how a very low-key interpretation of Joey could work to the play's advantage. His being practically a non-entity only heightens the shock of his eventual betrayal of Denny, reinforcing the latter as the tragic figure of the play. That is probably a contributing factor as to why the actor playing Denny reaped the accolades in that production.

mamaleh

Back to top Go down

Post by emtee Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:31 pm

That seemed very amateurish by comparison. The Broadway version acted out the moments more as if they were feeling and responding to the events in real time. The Chicago guys were retelling events more dispassionately, more removed.
emtee
emtee

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyT220 Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:27 pm

I get the feeling it's at least partly stylistic. The Chicago version seems to go for a more naturalistic, "if it really were two guys in a room talking about crap that happened" feel. The Broadway version felt more definitely like someone telling a specific story to the audience. It was more openly presented-for-your-digestion rather than listening in to two regular guys talking shit at each other.
LadyT220
LadyT220
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down