Hugh Jackman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Lovely Bones

+4
LadyT220
hmjfan
Kiki
narrows101
8 posters

Go down

The Lovely Bones Empty The Lovely Bones

Post by narrows101 Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:52 pm

Saw this movie last night. First of all, call me old or whatever, but we hardly ever go to movies at night, we usually go to matinees - cheaper and less people (what's next, Early Bird Specials? Oh wait......). OMG the line at the box office took me off guard and the theater was PACKED. I had only found out yesterday afternoon that they were marketing the movie to teenage girls, and the theater was packed with teens. They all clapped and laughed at all the WRONG parts - who laughs when you are describing how someone is murdered and when a murderer is chasing someone?

Anyway, the movie... if we are to believe that Hugh was up for the role of the father and Marky Mark got the role, IMO it wasn't anything that spectacular. Not sure if it was the role or if it was Wahlberg. He had a few intense scenes - crying, smashing things, getting beat up - but that was about it. The girl, killer, and the girl's sister were the best parts of the movie, although Susan Sarandon has some hysterical scenes. I do wonder though if the father would have been more charismatic if Hugh had done the role. Wahlberg was kinda just "there" I thought.
narrows101
narrows101

Back to top Go down

The Lovely Bones Empty Re: The Lovely Bones

Post by Kiki Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:54 pm

narrows101 wrote:Saw this movie last night. First of all, call me old or whatever, but we hardly ever go to movies at night, we usually go to matinees - cheaper and less people (what's next, Early Bird Specials? Oh wait......). OMG the line at the box office took me off guard and the theater was PACKED. I had only found out yesterday afternoon that they were marketing the movie to teenage girls, and the theater was packed with teens. They all clapped and laughed at all the WRONG parts - who laughs when you are describing how someone is murdered and when a murderer is chasing someone?

Anyway, the movie... if we are to believe that Hugh was up for the role of the father and Marky Mark got the role, IMO it wasn't anything that spectacular. Not sure if it was the role or if it was Wahlberg. He had a few intense scenes - crying, smashing things, getting beat up - but that was about it. The girl, killer, and the girl's sister were the best parts of the movie, although Susan Sarandon has some hysterical scenes. I do wonder though if the father would have been more charismatic if Hugh had done the role. Wahlberg was kinda just "there" I thought.

My niece saw it last night too - she's only 13, but she said she couldn't decide if it was a good film or not because she was too confused by it.
Kiki
Kiki
Admin

https://kristi510.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by narrows101 Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:03 pm

I read yesterday that when they had test screenings, they weren't that great but they noticed that a lot of teenage girls gave it an A+ - nothing lower than a B, so that's why they switched their marketing strategy and started to market towards teenage girls and it apparently worked. I could see where some of them wouldn't understand it since it wasn't a "straight" movie as she was directing some things from heaven and there was a lot of visual stuff going on in the heaven sequences - that part would have been great in 3D.
narrows101
narrows101

Back to top Go down

Post by hmjfan Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:15 pm

I saw it, too, and found it very tedious. Way too many scenes of the murder victim in almost-heaven. Boring. I'm glad Hugh didn't do this movie. I never read the book and the only reason I wanted to see the movie was for Stanley Tucci. Good as Rachel Weisz is, she disappeared for half the movie.

There was really no reaction from the audience at the end, everyone just got out as fast as they could. I'm sorry I wasted two hours on it.

hmjfan

Back to top Go down

Post by narrows101 Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:20 pm

I agree there were a lot of "almost heaven" scenes - the earthbound scenes were so much better. And Rachel was MIA for most of the movie. My audience clapped but they were raucous throughout the whole movie.
narrows101
narrows101

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyT220 Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:01 pm

It's one of those times I'm really quite glad Hugh didn't do this one. I knew from the outset it was unlikely to be a movie I'd especially enjoy and I'm kind of glad I don't now have to watch it.

I know Mindi saw it the other night too.
LadyT220
LadyT220
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by narrows101 Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:08 pm

Yes, I'm glad Hugh didn't do it.
narrows101
narrows101

Back to top Go down

Post by wombat Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:28 pm

I was disappointed he didn't do it at the time but I'm prepared to be pleased, now. I liked the book but it probably works best as a book, in similar fashion to The Time Traveler's Wife. The best book adaptations are always the ones that are too turgid to read but have a good story.

wombat

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiki Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:45 pm

There's so much room to screw up a 90-minute film taken from, say a 400+ page book. You can't possibly put it all in there, so the screenwriter has to be good at keeping most of the story intact and getting the most information from the plot into less than five minute scenes. I don't always fault them, because I realize how hard it is, but I think that's completely true, Wombat.

However, if it's slightly decent, the right actor can sometimes make it shine a little more than it should.

Last edited by Kiki on Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added the actor bit, thinking it might have been different if Hugh played the part, but I kind of doubt it.)
Kiki
Kiki
Admin

https://kristi510.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by narrows101 Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:57 pm

However, if it's slightly decent, the right actor can sometimes make it shine a little more than it should.

Yeah, IMO Wahlberg was pretty bland and I did get to wondering what the character would have been like if it was Hugh instead.
narrows101
narrows101

Back to top Go down

Post by icelemt38 Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:32 pm

I saw it and was highly disappointed by it. I read the script and the movie I imagined was very different from the one I ended up seeing. The script was driven by the Dad and his search, the movie made me feel like the Dad was irrelevent, but like Pat said, it could be from Wahlberg's atrocious acting. I could do without all the scenes shot in digital, and the tonal shifts, it could have done without Surandon's comic relief which took away from the main focus. I also think this could have been a time when Jackson's vision kind of got in the way like how Luhrman's did for Australia.

I was one of the ones super pissed when we found out Hugh passed and I loved the script, but the final product was so different, so I'm actually pretty glad Hugh passed on this one.
icelemt38
icelemt38

Back to top Go down

Post by narrows101 Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:34 pm

http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/book-of-eli-de-thrones-avatar-friday-but-camerons-3d-will-reign-for-weekend-teen-girls-turn-out-for-3-lovely-bones/#more-22666

At No. 3, Peter Jackson's version of the bestselling book The Lovely Bones finally went modestly wide after 5 weeks in very limited release. It made $5.7M Friday and $6.4M Saturday for a 3-day weekend of $17M and $17.5M cume from 2,563 runs for what's expected to be a respectable $20M for the 4-day holiday. It’s no secret that the budget was big, and the reviews were mixed, as was the pic's performance on just 3 screens in NY and LA. But Paramount held a test screening in Kansas City on November 19th for teen girls, and lo and behold the film tested 90% in the top two boxes and scored a 67% definite recommend. So the studio came up with an alternative approach to selling the Dad and his dead daughter storyline and re-invented the film in TV spots as a must-see for teen girls. I'm told fully a third of the audience was under 18 last night. And, while the overall CinemaScore was a B, 70% of that teen audience scored the movie an A. (It turned out to be a controversial but ultimately wise decision to omit the book's brutal rape.) "Rob Moore, Megan Colligan, and Josh Greenstein did a tremendous job redefining the campaign and never waivered in their enthusiasm for the film given the softness of the platform," a Peter Jackson pal gushed to me. Especially since Paramount inherited the pic from DreamWorks and never would have greenlit it. Let's agree it's the real story of this b.o. weekend.
narrows101
narrows101

Back to top Go down

Post by MFPhila Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:17 pm

icelemt38 wrote:I saw it and was highly disappointed by it. I read the script and the movie I imagined was very different from the one I ended up seeing. The script was driven by the Dad and his search, the movie made me feel like the Dad was irrelevent, but like Pat said, it could be from Wahlberg's atrocious acting. I could do without all the scenes shot in digital, and the tonal shifts, it could have done without Surandon's comic relief which took away from the main focus. I also think this could have been a time when Jackson's vision kind of got in the way like how Luhrman's did for Australia.

I was one of the ones super pissed when we found out Hugh passed and I loved the script, but the final product was so different, so I'm actually pretty glad Hugh passed on this one.

I liked the movie and I loved the book. As for Hugh, I'm glad he didn't do it. I too was super pissed when he didn't do it, but that was more due to the filming locations, although I did think it was going to be a great role also. I agree with you Irene, too much with the tonal shifts. I also think with the metaphors to death, switching from "life" scenes to the heaven scenes and costarring with Rachel, it may have brought The Fountain and those reviews back. The film didn't explore the characters as much as the book did. They really lessened the roles. All in all though, I really did like it and I thought the 2 girls and Stanley Tucci were the best.

I had the annoying teenage girls too, Pat. Laughing in all the wrong places. One girl sitting next to me, said to her friend, this better be good I've been waiting a long time. The Lovely Bones Icon_rolleyes I hope they caught the look I gave them. A few times during the movie the same one said...well, that's not how I would have written ok. Um, ok...
I hate teenagers.

Kristin, I can certainly understand how Marisa was confused. I think for kids it could be confusing. I just hope they take one thing from it, dont wander off, even with someone you know.

There weren't too many almost in heaven scenes, since that was a huge part of the storyline...Susie telling her story after death. I thought Wahlberg was ok, for me though he looked to young for the part but Racel looked alot younger in this movie too.
MFPhila
MFPhila

Back to top Go down

Post by narrows101 Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:25 pm

I have to admit I did think of The Fountain a few times watching that movie, especially with the tree.

The stupid teens at my showing pretty much ruined the movie for me - thank god none of them were actually sitting too close to me.
narrows101
narrows101

Back to top Go down

Post by icelemt38 Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:16 pm

I did like Tucci and the girls were good, Tucci especially though frightened the hell out of me. Talk about change of roles for him, he's usually the quirky lovable type, but completely creeper all the way in this role. But good job Hugh, good call on this one!
icelemt38
icelemt38

Back to top Go down

Post by MFPhila Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:26 pm

icelemt38 wrote:But good job Hugh, good call on this one!

I don't think it was his choice to back out, I think it was a timing thing and he had to.
MFPhila
MFPhila

Back to top Go down

Post by icelemt38 Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:31 pm

Oh ya that's right, he was busy with Australia. So maybe not good choice but good timing, lol.

I don't know why but the digital filming really bothered me, the usage of that was very unnecessary I thought. But see that's the problem with reading scripts I suppose, I had a vision of the movie in my head reading the script. Then the final product was way different and threw me off.
icelemt38
icelemt38

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Phoenix Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:28 am

I saw the movie three days ago and liked it. Finally a movie that lived up to the trailer and was interesting again. Smile

Dark Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post by narrows101 Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:52 pm

Didn't want to start another thread but a general movie thought. The ratings for the Golden Globes were up 14% this year over last year. I guess it could be because they finally had a host, it was Ricky, or Avatar was nominated.

Speaking of Avatar, I bet the Oscar ratings will be up over last year's also, because of the new Martin/Balwin duo hosting and also if Avatar gets nominated, sorta like when Titanic was and what would have happened if The Dark Knight was.
narrows101
narrows101

Back to top Go down

Post by icelemt38 Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:35 pm

And of course automatically the Martin/Baldwin duo will be praised through the roof because of it. Had TDK shown up in a few more categories, I'm sure ratings last year would have been higher up as well.
icelemt38
icelemt38

Back to top Go down

Post by narrows101 Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:16 pm

This is interesting re TLB and marketing - obviously I didn't know they had changed their strategy!

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118013956.html?categoryid=1237&cs=1
narrows101
narrows101

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down