Hugh Jackman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Filming News

+7
cath112
Klenotka
LadyT220
wombat
nmb
icelemt38
narrows101
11 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Filming News Empty Filming News

Post by narrows101 Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:31 pm

I wish they were more specific about *when* in June. Twitter from Production Weekly:

Filming begins June in Michigan on "Real Steel" starring Hugh Jackman as Charlie, a downcast former boxer-turned-trainer of boxing robots.

And it seems like some of us aren't the only ones:

The script is based on a story by Richard Matheson, who also wrote several episodes of the “Twilight Zone” and authored “I Am Legend.” The film is being described as Rocky meets Wall-E and is already getting panned by critics but with Steven Speilberg as Executive Producer, how bad can it be?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
narrows101
narrows101

Back to top Go down

Filming News Empty Re: Filming News

Post by icelemt38 Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:43 pm

At least there's something official that we KNOW will happen for once, even if it's not the movie I wish it were but at this point, AT LEAST we know there's something in June.
icelemt38
icelemt38

Back to top Go down

Post by nmb Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:49 pm

I wish it was movie about Hugh boxing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

nmb

Back to top Go down

Post by icelemt38 Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:51 pm

"already getting panned by critics", a little early for that dontcha think? I'll hope for the best.
icelemt38
icelemt38

Back to top Go down

Post by wombat Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:55 pm

I'd missed that. Of course, the writer is wrong because someone who pans something without seeing it is not a critic.

wombat

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyT220 Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:57 pm

icelemt38 wrote:"already getting panned by critics", a little early for that dontcha think? I'll hope for the best.

I'm not holding my breath, the premise sounds kinda' dumb from the casual observation standpoint, it's going to have to be good to win over the cynics.

It'll just have to be pretty to win over me.
LadyT220
LadyT220
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by narrows101 Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:58 pm

nmb wrote:I wish it was movie about Hugh boxing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Who knows if he'll get in the ring or not - maybe that's why he keeps going to the gym LOL.
narrows101
narrows101

Back to top Go down

Post by icelemt38 Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:04 pm

LadyT220 wrote:
icelemt38 wrote:"already getting panned by critics", a little early for that dontcha think? I'll hope for the best.

I'm not holding my breath, the premise sounds kinda' dumb from the casual observation standpoint, it's going to have to be good to win over the cynics.

It'll just have to be pretty to win over me.

I agree, I meant hope for the best on a personal standpoint. Because really, it ain't working for me very much at all at this point, which is unfair because well, all we know is the plot and that script review/synopsis thing. So I'll keep an open mind, but at least this might be one of the few times where I go in expecting crap and come out surprised of how my expectations were surpassed.
icelemt38
icelemt38

Back to top Go down

Post by Klenotka Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:10 pm

Well, I didn´t expect anything from Wolverine and I was pleasantly suprised. So I hope in the best with RS, too.
I like the idea of RS but I am disappointed that Spielberg doesn´t direct it. That would at least make it a "Spielberg movie". Is this all Steven can do for Hugh?
But I am still curious about this - I am a sci-fi geek so.... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Klenotka
Klenotka

Back to top Go down

Post by narrows101 Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:14 pm

Doesn't seem to me that Spielberg is doing much directing lately, he's either producing or executive producing.
narrows101
narrows101

Back to top Go down

Post by wombat Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:30 pm

I'm still hoping that "Interstellar" happens and that Spielberg remembers Hugh. I like the idea of Hugh as an astrophysicist.

wombat

Back to top Go down

Post by icelemt38 Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:30 pm

Ya Wolverine was one of mine too, wasn't expecting much and loved it, same with Scoop but that was more didn't know what to expect.

As long as Spielberg is involved, it does make me feel better, just a teeny bit.
icelemt38
icelemt38

Back to top Go down

Post by icelemt38 Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:31 pm

Ya Wolverine was one of mine too, wasn't expecting much and loved it, same with Scoop but that was more didn't know what to expect.

As long as Spielberg is involved, it does make me feel better, just a teeny bit.
icelemt38
icelemt38

Back to top Go down

Post by narrows101 Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:35 pm

Love to know exactly where in Michigan (thinking of the set visits auctioned off). At least it's summer.
narrows101
narrows101

Back to top Go down

Post by Klenotka Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:45 pm

icelemt38 wrote:Ya Wolverine was one of mine too, wasn't expecting much and loved it, same with Scoop but that was more didn't know what to expect.

He was going to direct Harvey but he decided not to do it. His Lincoln is nowhere close to be done, too. I know that Robert Redford is doing a very similar project and he already started. So I guess Spielberg doesn´t want to face a direct competition.
My point is that he could be involved in RS thanks to it because he could be there and help to Levy to make it more a sci-fi drama than a family-friendly fun.
Klenotka
Klenotka

Back to top Go down

Post by icelemt38 Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:45 pm

wombat wrote:I'm still hoping that "Interstellar" happens and that Spielberg remembers Hugh. I like the idea of Hugh as an astrophysicist.

Even better would be if after RS, Speilberg loves him so much that Hugh becomes Steve's muse, much like the Leo Scorsese pairing. I just want to see Hugh become someone's go to guy.
icelemt38
icelemt38

Back to top Go down

Post by cath112 Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:10 pm

Educate me on the role of executive producer. Does the EP just finance it, put together the whole package of director/actors/etc, or what? How much hands-on input does he have in the final product? I assume he has to green-light it before it's released, but how much influence in the movie does he actually have? I'd feel a lot better about this if he were directing it.

As far as expectations, I have absolutely no expectation of liking this, so it won't have to do much to make me like it better than I anticipate. Of course no movie would please us all. For example, the thing that would really plunge it lower in my expectations would be if Hugh actually boxes. I'm not sure I'll even see it if he's boxing. Oh, who am I kidding?

cath112

Back to top Go down

Post by wombat Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:43 pm

It's the first project for the newly independent Dreamworks, so Spielberg has a financial interest. He's probably key to it being able to raise finance from external sources, too. I think as Executive Producer, he has a responsibility to check it's all running to plan.

The title "Executive Producer" is a bit devalued as it can be given to anyone, even if they have little involvement in the film. For example, Stan Lee gets a credit on some of the films based on Marvel comics but he's not actively involved, other than maybe a cameo. Obviously, Spielberg doesn't fit into that category.

According to imdb:

Executive Producer

AKA: Executive in Charge of Production
A [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] who is not involved in any technical aspects of the filmmaking process, but who is still responsible for the overall [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. Typically an executive producer handles business and legal issues. See also [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

Last edited by wombat on Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

wombat

Back to top Go down

Post by latone Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:54 pm

icelemt38 wrote: So I'll keep an open mind, but at least this might be one of the few times where I go in expecting crap and come out surprised of how my expectations were surpassed.
It's quite opposite for me, when I'm going to the movie expecting it to suck, it never lets me down and sucks even more than I expected (cough...Wolverine...cough). The best politics for me probably would be not reading anything on RS at all, or since it virtually impossible at least limiting myself to Forum and ignoring the links regarding RS at Google and twitter. It would be a nice New Year resolution, actually, lol.

latone

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyT220 Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:10 pm

It's always a good policy to avoid blog reviews (not to mention Rotten Tomatoes) before you've had a chance to see something and evaluate it for yourself, I find. Try as one might, it's very hard not to let other people's opinions colour your perception of something.
LadyT220
LadyT220
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wombat Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:21 pm

I find it can be a problem even after I've seen it, so I have to see it again to convince myself that I really did like it.

wombat

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyT220 Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:27 pm

I frequently find myself making angry gesticulations at Rotten Tomatoes in particular. Even totally unrelated to Hugh, that place and I very rarely agree on anything.
LadyT220
LadyT220
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by icelemt38 Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:29 pm

Me too, I can easily be affected by what people say that my own perception often takes 2nd place. But then later I'll watch it and then think, hmmmm, I really don't like it all that much. Case in point, Australia, I was so against all the bad reviews and loved that most here loved it that I bought way into it. Now though, can't really say I enjoy as much as I thought I did, in fact it's defintely gotten less replay then The Prestige or The Fountain did when they came out on DVD.

But that's a really good strategy Latone, if only I had the willpower to stay away.
icelemt38
icelemt38

Back to top Go down

Post by latone Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:38 pm

But..., I've read every possible review in the world prior to seeing Australia (we had a release the full three months later than USA) and it didn't prevent me from thoroughly enjoying it, so it all depends, I guess. Although to be fair Australia had more "it's not for everyone" than "it sucks" consensus.

latone

Back to top Go down

Post by icelemt38 Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:54 pm

Yea it's all about personal preference, Australia is good to me because Hugh's really pretty in it, like super hotness but the more I watch it, the less I want to watch it again. Initially I thought I loved the movie, like BEST HUGH MOVIE EVER but now, thinking back, nope not so much. I still enjoy it, stilll think it's good but that's about it.

Tying it back, at least in the script review there was 1 scene I actually want to see played out, other than that we'll see, lol. There's plenty of time for things to change and at least it seems like a lot of effort is going into this thing since they're casting now and all. As long as he's pretty, at least it'll be bearable.
icelemt38
icelemt38

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next