Hugh Jackman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Rumors

+10
latone
wombat
Klenotka
jean
wildfire
vivianL
LadyT220
icelemt38
aktorgirl
narrows101
14 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

General Rumors - Page 2 Empty Re: General Rumors

Post by Kiki Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:11 pm

VL could have been better, and it probably should have been given time to get better, considering what a gamble it was in the first place. CBS gave up on it too soon, but it needed LOTS of work.
Kiki
Kiki
Admin

https://kristi510.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by wombat Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:15 pm

I've been itching to watch Blackpool! recently. Though I really need VL as well so I can do a comparative study. I loved the idea of VL but the execution was poor.

wombat

Back to top Go down

Post by Domino Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:19 pm

I'm still curious how they planned to explain Nicky having a beard in episode 3 or 4. Who killed whomever it was that kicked off the mystery, not so much.

Domino

Back to top Go down

Post by icelemt38 Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:25 pm

I take it back, seems like there's much more Cleo support than I originally thought, please accept my apologies. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I love Glee and had VL been a smidgen better, it probably could have stuck. I just wanted to see 1 more episode, as much as Nicky's hair was horrible, he was an evil son of a gun and I very much enjoyed seeing that. It's too bad that every time Hugh's played evil, the material has been pretty bad.
icelemt38
icelemt38

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiki Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:26 pm

wombat wrote:I loved the idea of VL but the execution was poor.

I agree, and I didn't like a certain someone
Spoiler:
trying to lay blame on the American public either. He was wrong, it was crap, that's why people didn't watch it.
Kiki
Kiki
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by icelemt38 Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:30 pm

Did he say that? I probably blocked it out of my memory.
icelemt38
icelemt38

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiki Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:33 pm

Yeah, he did. I can't remember his exact quote, but it was basically that the American public were not ready for something that creative or they weren't open-minded or sophisticated enough or some kind of bullshit.

I say they were smart for NOT watching it. LOL.
Kiki
Kiki
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by icelemt38 Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:33 pm

Yea that's bull, and Glee proves it. If you do it well, people will watch.
icelemt38
icelemt38

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyT220 Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:37 pm

Kiki wrote:
wombat wrote:I loved the idea of VL but the execution was poor.

I agree, and I didn't like a certain someone
Spoiler:
trying to lay blame on the American public either. He was wrong, it was crap, that's why people didn't watch it.

I can appreciate that the UK original they took the idea from had a very... uh... niche audience to start with. VL *could* have found a comperable one, same as the US version of Life On Mars did, but it just didn't really find its feet before it was cancelled. TBH, I never really cared for Viva Blackpool, and I only watched VL for Hugh.
Pragmatically speaking, all manner of stuff on UK TV would have been cancelled before it had a chance to actually get any good if our scheduling system worked the same way as yours. But that's a function of the industry rather than the audience.
LadyT220
LadyT220
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Domino Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:49 pm

Oh, I'd forgotten about Life on Mars. I loved the original and thought the American version was a pretty good translation, with a terrific idea for the ending.

Domino

Back to top Go down

Post by Klenotka Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:54 pm

OTish - As a huge fan of UK Life on Mars (and John Simm and Philip Glenister), I have to admit, I hated the US remake. That guy who played Sam was terribly wooden and cute normal-looking Annie was replaced by a blonde. At least the end was original but the british was one of the greatest endings ever.
I will never understand the need to make remakes of ANY show or a movie (let be The Office an exception). I am just waiting when they´ll get the brilliant idea to remake Doctor Who (the movie with Paul McGann doesn´t count)

*End of rant*
Klenotka
Klenotka

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyT220 Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:59 pm

Klenotka wrote:OTish - As a huge fan of UK Life on Mars (and John Simm and Philip Glenister), I have to admit, I hated the US remake. That guy who played Sam was terribly wooden and cute normal-looking Annie was replaced by a blonde. At least the end was original but the british was one of the greatest endings ever.
I will never understand the need to make remakes of ANY show or a movie (let be The Office an exception). I am just waiting when they´ll get the brilliant idea to remake Doctor Who (the movie with Paul McGann doesn´t count)

*End of rant*

*raises hand* Russel T Davies is already planning a US version of Torchwood. Don't even think about looking in Who fandom to see what they're making of that, the wank is epic. And, in fairness, McGann's 8th Doctor had a crappy TV movie but the audio adventures are freakin' AWESOME.

I never got past the 1st ep of US LoM. Sam didn't bother me but Harvey Keitel as the Gene Genie was just weird
LadyT220
LadyT220
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Klenotka Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:09 pm

I heard about it. After the last Special, I keep asking what is Davies smoking because he stopped making sense in the end of S4.

Philip Glenister is Gene Genie, nobody else, not even Harvey Keitel, could be better. He was brilliant. And as a totally different actor than (more methodic) John Simm, I think they were one of the best police partners ever.

Again, sorry for OT, but everytime US remake is mentioned, I can´t control myself...Sad
Klenotka
Klenotka

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyT220 Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:14 pm

Klenotka wrote:I heard about it. After the last Special, I keep asking what is Davies smoking because he stopped making sense in the end of S4.

Really? I think I'm one of the half a dozen people who actually like most of his work...
This all very OT. I'll shut up now.
LadyT220
LadyT220
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wombat Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:23 pm

I was enjoying the OT. If the main subject of this board wasn't such a lazy sob, we'd be able to stay on topic. (Yes, I'm grumbling because all he'll have to show for two years is a couple of commercials for iced tea.)

wombat

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiki Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:26 pm

We should revolt. Nobody talk about Hugh until he tells us what he's doing next.
Kiki
Kiki
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by narrows101 Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:30 pm

I was just telling Irene that I'm convinced he's doing nothing between now and June - and I'm not talking about commercials/charity stuff/movie premieres for other people. It's already freaking February.
narrows101
narrows101

Back to top Go down

Post by MFPhila Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:16 pm

wombat wrote: (Yes, I'm grumbling because all he'll have to show for two years is a couple of commercials for iced tea.)

We have a robot movie too. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
MFPhila
MFPhila

Back to top Go down

Post by latone Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:20 pm

At least he should keep walking around with random items in his hands, so we could entertain ourselves with speculations.

latone

Back to top Go down

Post by wombat Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:23 pm

MFPhila wrote:
wombat wrote: (Yes, I'm grumbling because all he'll have to show for two years is a couple of commercials for iced tea.)

We have a robot movie too. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
My two years runs from the end of filming Wolverine, so not even a robot movie. The play doesn't count because I didn't see it.

wombat

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyT220 Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:31 pm

wombat wrote:I was enjoying the OT. If the main subject of this board wasn't such a lazy sob, we'd be able to stay on topic. (Yes, I'm grumbling because all he'll have to show for two years is a couple of commercials for iced tea.)

Not that you're feeling bitter or anything. Laughing
LadyT220
LadyT220
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by icelemt38 Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:53 pm

I'll hold out hope until the end of Feb and we still haven't heard of anything yet, then I'll start believing he has nothing going on. Man this RS better be worth the wait because seriously man, he's not giving me very many reasons outside of his prettyness for me to keep interested.

Lucky for him, his prettyness does go a long way for me, and his hair cut was definitely a step in the right direction. (sorry Pat, lol)
icelemt38
icelemt38

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyT220 Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:58 pm

I'm always really just here for the pretty.
Bonus points if he's being pretty and moving around and talking at the same time, more or less regardless of context.
LadyT220
LadyT220
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by vivianL Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:17 pm

Your optimism keeps me alive you know! Negativity for Irene though, is that his hair WILL grow out, way before that silly robot movie is out. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
vivianL
vivianL

Back to top Go down

Post by icelemt38 Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:53 pm

I know, that's why I hope he cuts it again. I still wonder why he cut his hair, if that's the look they're going for in RS or if he just wanted less hair to take care of.
icelemt38
icelemt38

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum